What to do to if experiencing Anti Social Behaviour in your community

What is Anti-Social Behaviour?

Anti-Social Behaviour is any act that causes, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress.  It can also include conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance.  This can include an activity that is having, or is likely to have, a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality and is persistent and continuing.

Anti-social behaviour can include:

  • vandalism
  • graffiti
  • verbal abuse
  • threats
  • bullying
  • drunken or drug-related behaviour
  • aggressive begging

Anti-social behaviour may occur in a residential setting or out in the community where it affects more people.

How do it report Anti Social Behaviour?

The Council’s Anti-Social Behaviour Team does not operate a 24-hour responsive service for anti-social behaviour however,

If it is an emergency, and someone’s safety or property is at risk, then call Dorset Police on 999.

If it is less urgent, there are a number of other options:

  • Call us on 01202 454873 if you want to complain about an incident that has occurred and you need help or support, or you want us to investigate with our partners. If we are unable to take your call at the time, please leave a voice message and we will contact you as soon as we can.
  • Report the issue by email to: team@bournemouth.gov.uk
  • If you want to report loud music or other noise such as dog barking, contact the out of hours noise service on 0800 0281870. Officers are on duty throughout the week and can often attend to witness the matter and take the appropriate action as necessary.
  • Contact the Police using Do It Online to report a crime or incident.

Not all behaviours that annoy you will be accepted as anti-social behaviour.  Lifestyle clashes or disputes with neighbours will likely need to be resolved privately and mediation can often produce a positive outcome.

If your complaint of anti-social behaviour is accepted, we will investigate the matter thoroughly and keep you informed of progress and support you through the process.  In the first instance, it may be necessary for you to keep a diary of what behaviours you have experienced and how they have impacted upon you.

What happens next?

There are many possible outcomes in cases of anti-social behaviour and the case officer will explain these at the outset of your complaint and update you during the investigation.

Informal remedies often result in an improvement for victims of anti-social behaviour.  This could include positive engagement by ourselves or other partners with either or both parties, involvement of support agencies where addictions or vulnerabilities are identified or warnings or Acceptable Behaviour Contracts issued to the perpetrator.

However, more formal remedies, depending on the level of evidence provided by you and gathered by the case officer during an investigation, are available to the team.  These can include a Community Protection Notice, a Civil Injunction, a Premises Closure Order or an eviction of a tenant of a rented property.

What can I do to help?

If you are affected by someone else’s behaviour, we need you to provide the evidence for our team to consider any action and you need to ensure you keep your case officer updated within the timescales that are requested.

Keep your diary sheets accurate and record as much relevant detail as possible including times and details of any behaviours that have affected you, any specific language that was used and what impact the it has on you or your family.

Please ensure that if the issues are resolved and action is no longer necessary you make the us aware.