Who should I contact to tell them about the issue?

Matters relating to dogs fall under various categories. What the issue is will depend on who and how it is dealt with.

  1. Dog on Dog attacks – Please contact the  Local Authority Dog Warden ( follow this link >>)

  2. Dog on Human attacks – This is a police matter you can visit their website by following this link Police (follow this link>>) or call 101 for non-emergency or 999 for an emergency. You may be asked to give a witness statement for use in court. The courts have the power to imprison and disqualify people from owning a dog for as long as they think necessary.

  3. Dangerous Dogs /Control of Dogs/Anti Social Behaviour relating to Dogs –  you can contact BCP Council by following this link Police/Housing officers/Local Council Dangerous Dogs>>

  4. Dog Theft – This is a police matter to get more information visit Dorset Police online by following this link Police (follow this link>>)

  5. Lost dogs/found dogs – This is a matter for the local Dog Warden you can contact the Dog Warden by following this link  Dog Warden/Local vet (follow this link >>)

  6. Dispute over dog ownership – This is a matter for your solicitor in the first instance.

If the issue about the dog is a police matter

If a police matter contact Police on 101 or use the local Police Force website to email the local Neighbourhood Policing Team. You can contact them by following this link Police (follow this link>>)

If it is a police matter it would be helpful if you can provide..

1 – Location/Time/length of time this has been happening.

2 – Type of Dog or description

3 – Injuries to animal or Human

4 – Details of any Vet/Hospital visits

5 – Photos of any injuries

You can download a information sheet that will help you to help us with the information we need. Follow this link>>

Once I have told them what happens next?

An officer will contact you to talk through the issue. This may not be immediately unless there is an immediate threat, risk or harm.

What can I and other members of my community do to help?

Many people resort to using social media to highlight issues with dogs. Whilst this can be useful to warn others it can affect a criminal investigation as the post and any comments can be used in court. Please be aware of this if you feel you have to post. The only exception to this is the Dog Lost social media accounts for dogs that have been lost/stolen/found. Dog Lost.co.uk is one such site and can be accessed by following this link >>

What happens if the problem continues?

It is not unusual that following Police action the problem re-occurs, this is normal. If this does happen, do not feel disheartened. Please let them know straight away and they will continue to target the problem with other options that are available to them.

Dog fouling – health risk:

Toxocariasis is a rare infection caused by roundworm parasites. Humans can catch it from handling soil or sand contaminated with infected animal faeces.

Roundworm parasites are most commonly found in cats, dogs and foxes, and usually affect young children. This is because children are more likely to come into contact with contaminated soil when they play and put their hands in their mouths.

Take care around our commons and open spaces as irresponsible dog owners may not be picking up after their dog. If you notice a issue the contact the Local Authority Dog Warden ( follow this link >>) 

It is not just humans that can be affected, Parvo virus is transmitted between dogs and can be serious for the dog if caught:

Listen to our audio guide to help you address the issue.

Here are some other useful links:



It is our community – we all have a responsibility to keep each other safe